Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Cushions by the dozen...


 Last year I went to my daughter's Grade 3 class and made footprints with the girls at lunchtime... we mixed paint and textile medium... they picked the colours they wanted...  got quite a production line going with paint, fabric, water... let them dry for a few days...


...then the girls hand-sewed around their feet with cotton (quite amusing when you watch them sew themselves to their school dresses!)... and I took them home and added ribbon for thong straps... 


 It's taken me the better part of a year to manage to raid my fabric stash and turn them into cushions... and sew buttons on to the "thongs" for decoration... but they did all look good when they were finished... and hopefully the girls will have a lovely momento of their feet in grade 3!


It was quite interesting to watch the girls that had patience to finish their sewing... and the ones who pleaded with me to finish theirs!A couple of the teachers asked to have their feet done so I ended up with a couple of extras!


 Allyson wins the prize for the longest feet... can you pick hers? Can you find the flattest feets? The highest arches?  This project came from a delightful book by Marcia Layton with loads of fun and creative projects involving hand and foot-prints in it.


 I'd highly recommend this as a simple activity which gives the kids a very special memory! Having said that... I'm really glad the cushions are finally done and heading to their owners with my daughter today!

2 comments:

Hi! My name is erica. Would you be my friend? said...

That's such a fun idea! Yay you for finishing it. :)

Allyson said...

Given Allyson is the tallest, it's not surprising she has the longest feet!!